- the hummingbird is the smallest bird and also the smallest of all animals that have a backbone.
- they have no sense of smell
- because they can rotate their wings in a circle, they are the only bird that can fly forwards, backwards, up, down ,sideways and hover in mid air.
- to conserve energy while they sleep or when food is scarce, they can go into a hibernation-like state (torpor) where their metabolic rate is slowed to 1/15th of its normal rate.
- during migration, some hummingbirds make a non-stop 500 mile flight over the Gulf of Mexico.
- during courtship dives they can reach speeds up to 60 miles per hour and can average speeds of 20 to 30 miles per hour.
- they can beat their wings up to 80 times a second during normal flight and up to 200 times per second during a courtship dive.
- their heart rate can reach up to 1,260 beats per minute. percentage wise, the hummingbird has the largest brain of all birds (4.2% of its total body weight).
- hummingbirds have very weak feet and use them mainly just for perching
Friday, May 7, 2010
Feather Friday Part 4
Today's Feather Friday birdie is the hummingbird. Take it away G-Mom. Thank you Rambo. Yes....today's bird is the beautiful little hummingbird. Here are some interesting facts about the hummingbird.